Insurance Requirements

Every Trucker Needs Proper Truck Insurance To Get Ready

Get my authority now is the nation’s leading online insurance agency. We write fleet trucking insurance policies from 1-1000 and can help new venture trucking companies with completing this final step in the permitting process; activating your DOT authority requires an insurance company to post federal insurance filings. Not sure what all this means? WE DO…..give us a call today, and we’ll get you rolling down the road.

If you need insurance, please provide the requested information so we can get to work for you

In addition to filing an application for operating authority, all applicants for motor carrier, forwarder, and broker authorities must have specific insurance and legal process agent documents on file before the FMCSA will issue the authorities. The required filings vary, based on the types of registrations involved. Below is a list of pre-registration forms, followed by an explanation of which types of registrants are subject to filing those forms.

Liability and cargo insurance forms must be submitted directly (online) by the home office of the insurance company furnishing the coverage. The FMCSA does not furnish copies of insurance forms.

Type of Carriage Commodity Transported January 1, 1985
(1) For-hire (In interstate or foreign commerce, with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,001 or more pounds) Property (nonhazardous) $750,000
(2) For-hire and Private (In interstate, foreign, or intrastate commerce, with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,001 or more pounds) Hazardous substances, as defined in 49 CFR 171.8, transported in cargo tanks, portable tanks, or hopper-type vehicles with capacities in excess of 3,500 water gallons; or in bulk Division 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 materials. Division 2.3, Hazard Zone A, or Division 6.1, Packing Group I, Hazard Zon 5,000,000
(3) For-hire and Private (In interstate or foreign commerce, in any quantity; or in intrastate commerce, in bulk only; with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,001 or more pounds) Oil listed in 49 CFR 172.101; hazardous waste, hazardous materials, and hazardous substances defined in 49 CFR 171.8 and listed in 49 CFR 172.101, but not mentioned in (2) above or (4) below 1,000,000
(4) For-hire and Private (In interstate or foreign commerce, with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 10,001 pounds) Any quantity of Division 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3 material; any quantity of a Division 2.3, Hazard Zone A, or Division 6.1, Packing Group I, Hazard Zone A material; or highway route controlled quantities of a Class 7 material as defined in 49 CFR 173.403 5,000,000

How to File

Applicants should be prepared to contact their agents to request filing of the required forms immediately after obtaining their designated docket number. These filings must be received within 90 days after the FMCSA has published public notice of intention to register the applicant. (Applicants will be notified by letter of their docket number and date of publication in the FMCSA Register.)

Applicants are cautioned to ensure that the name and address of the business as set out in all pre-registration filings match exactly the name and address provided in their application for operating authority filings. Any deviation will result in rejection of the supplemental pre-registration filings.

Where to File

Insurance companies (NOT insurance agents) that wish to file insurance forms online need to set up a filer account with FMCSA. Please submit a request to the Insurance Team at with the following information:

  • Letter on the insurance company’s letterhead requesting a filer account
  • Home office address of the insurance company
  • Billing address, if that address is different from the home office address
  • Name of a contact person with that insurance company
  • Contact person’s telephone and fax numbers
  • Billing contact person’s telephone and fax number if it is different than the home office contact person
  • E-mail address of the contact person if available
  • Preferred user name for the account (if any)
  • Copy of the insurance company’s state license
  • Subject line: "Insurance Filer Account Request"

Insurance/process agent filings can also be mailed directly to:

  • Office of Registration and Safety Information, MC-RS
  • 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE W63-105
  • Washington, DC 20590

Checking Status:

FMCSA's QCMobile app can be used to verify an entity's operating authority and USDOT number. The new app will provide the functionality previously provided by the automated phone system, plus access to USDOT number status information. Users of Apple or Android smart phones or tablets can download this app from the iTunes App Store (Apple) or the Google Play Store (Android) at no cost.