How to Get Your Own Authority in 21 Days*

Establishing an independent commercial trucking enterprise has its challenges, but obtaining Authority to launch operations and begin hauling freight as soon as possible shouldn’t be, that is if you follow the “route” and make the following waypoints:

1) Create your business name and brand identity

  • Choose a name (carefully) for your company
  • Check your six and your competitors
  • Develop your business plan, financial agenda

2) Decide to list the business as a Sole Proprietor or LLC

  • Carefully consider the right business structure for your company. At this point you, like most start-up entrepreneurs, are trying to decide between the two most popular small business structures—Sole Proprietorship or Limited Liability Companies (LLCs)
  • Sole Proprietorship is attractive due to its simplicity and lower business costs. Make this decision carefully; most owner operators prefer to avoid the personal financial risks
  • LLC’s benefits of revolve around their flexibility—including method of taxation and their liability protections for owners—and that’s why most customers choose to run as an LLC

Note: Several factors may weigh on which business entity to establish, but an LLC provides key liability protections and provides an Employee Identification Number (EIN). With an EIN, the trucking entrepreneur uses it to establish authority rather than his or her personal Social Security Number.

3) Decide your reach and range; Interstate or Intrastate motor carrier?

  • Interstate carriers carry cargo across state lines
  • Intrastate carriers operate within a single state
  • Most choose Interstate to assure business and operational flexibility

4) Permit your rig. Visit and select the package that fits your needs

  • Includes (Interstate) MC Number, DOT Number, BOC-3 Filing and UCR Registration
  • Begin the application process

5) Fill the application out online

  • Application takes about 20 minutes
  • Once completed Press “Submit”

6) Make your payment easily, online

  • Once your application is submitted a payment screen automatically populates
  • We use PayPal for convenient payments
  • No PayPal account needed to make a payment

7) processes your application with the FMSCA

  • Expert preparation expedites application process
  • Worry-free compliance

8) DOT# is issued right away, e-mail’s the DOT# immediately

  • Once the DOT# is received we file the UCR
  • The USDOT Number serves as an identifying number for officials collecting and monitoring a company’s safety data; information acquired during audits, compliance reviews, interventions, crash investigations, and inspections
  • Federally-mandated, the United Carrier Registration (UCR) program is the annual state-administered registration of motor carriers, motor private carriers, freight forwarders, leasing companies and brokers based in the U. S., Canada, Mexico, or any other country that operate in interstate in interstate or international commerce in the U.S.
  • Similar to the SSRS, the UCR Program is a Base-State system, under which a carrier pays UCR fees through its Base Sate on behalf of all participating states

9) Obtain liability insurance

  • Once you receive your DOT# from you will need to get coverage for the trucks and equipment you operate
  • At the end of the application there is an option to obtain an insurance quote
  • Select YES, and a licensed insurance agent will contact you immediately

10) Your insurance company submits the Certificate of Liability Insurance to FMCSA

  • is familiar with the process and regulatory bureaucracies
  • Underwriting truckers for decades, we know the difference

11) File your IFTA with your home state

  • IFTA Fuel Tax Reporting is required for any vehicle crossing state lines with GVW/GVWR over 26,001 lbs.

  • The IFTA agreement states that Authority holders pay the taxes the state charges at the pump on any mileage run in that state even if fuel was not purchased there

  • Under IFTA, you are issued a license and one set of IFTA decals per truck, which allows operations in all other IFTA jurisdictions without requiring additional decals from those jurisdictions

12) Once your MC# is posted to SAFER, files your BOC-3

  • Within three days (generally) your MC# is filed with FMCSA
  • files the BOC-3 form with the FMCSA in order to designate a process agent for you in all 50 states. A process agent is a representative upon whom court papers may be served in any proceeding brought against a motor carrier, broker, or freight forwarder

13) In a timely fashion the letter from FMCSA stating your Authority has been approved arrives and you are authorized to operate

  • Once FMCSA receives your Certificate of Liability Insurance they mail your letter of authorization
  • Hit the road with confidence

*Start to finish this entire process takes approximately 21 business days to complete